FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2015 BA Champagne and Wine Thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:24 am
haasha

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Hello! Would love to hear about your experience.

If you are referring to my post about the Condrieu, I genuinely meant it as a question. I certainly never had it in CW (of which I take at least 20 flights a year if not more) but I do realise that menus may vary by route and there are multiple menu rotations each month too (I think two menus per month per city pair) so I was genuinely curious whether I had just been unlucky (I love a good Condrieu and still think of it as the quintessential example of subliming viognier) or if indeed, it was if not a ghost wine (I can't imagine them completely lying about it), at least an anecdotal wine that merely turned up on a number of flights.

If you meant Land-of-Miles's comments, I can confirm that it is frequent that some wines on the menu are not available on board although I would say that 3 out of 4 is actually really unusual in my experience. I hope it was a pure unlucky coincidence rather than a trend.

I presume each airline chooses which of the wines it offers in a given travel class it enters in the competition? If so, I suppose it might be worth asking them to specify what proportion of flights it was actually available on for the judges' information?
Don't BA have different wine offerings by route? It might be that they have it once a month on LHR-HND et voilą, we have the best wine! Small print: but not for you. Sounds like typical BA.

And beware, they now have "expertly sourced wines" in CW according to the website so it is going to get worse.

I have not travelled much lately but I have not seen any decent wine in GF for maybe 6 months. Always just a bit above the lowest level.