FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost My Upgrade and Confirmed Seat 25' prior to delayed departure
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:37 pm
dclocation

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First
Lost My Upgrade and Confirmed Seat 25' prior to delayed departure

I had a flight from JFK to LAX today. I arrived at AC around T-45 and found out that my upgrade has been cleared. The agent printed me the new boarding pass showing Business class cabin – everything seemed to be good so far. I then went to the restroom and changed for more comfortable clothes for the 6-hour flight. When I arrived at the departure gate at T-25, the GA told me that I lost my upgrade and confirmed seat. I can’t believe what I heard. Following is our conversation continued…

GA: I called you for a couple of times but you did not show up
Me: But my upgrade is confirmed and I have my boarding pass printed out already
GA: You should come to the gate earlier. It’s already 23 minutes prior to departure
Me: I believe AA recommends confirmed passengers arrive at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure

The GA finally realized she made a mistake. She handled me a boarding pass with a coach seat far back in cabin. She said that’s the last seat she has on the plane. She did apologize but she said there is nothing she can do at that moment. I was very upset. However, since I have a connection to make in LAX, I had no choice but to take the seat.

I noticed that AA recently intends to start the boarding process earlier than T-30. That’s inconvenient but I can live with it. However, losing a confirmed seat at T-25 is just not too much.

Do we need to forget about the AC and always appear at the gate 45 minutes before departure? I don’t mind of doing so if I travel a few times a year. However, with 120+ flights a year, I really don’t want to do so…