FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread
View Single Post
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:19 am
Tog Esu

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Re: taxes--it looks like you might have figured it out, but my understanding is that the federal excise tax is included in the price listed with the fare on the GDS, but it gets broken out when you go to book a flight. So, the fare on the itinerary should be less (IIRC, the tax is 7.5%, so the fare should be ~92.5% of the listed fare price) than seen on the GDS.

Disclaimer: the specific tax and/or values may be incorrect.
Yup, a look at a recent receipt showed fare of 437.21 plus 60.99 in tax/fee. Add back the 7.5% U.S. transportation tax to the fare you get 470. I had V class and G class segments on a RT. EF shows half the V and G RT fares add up to 470.

Price they show while making a new reservation includes all taxes/fees. So just back out the below items times 2 on RT to get the published fare.

"Our advertised fares are per person and include U.S. government taxes and fees. A segment is defined as one takeoff and landing.

$4 per flight segment, per passenger (U.S. domestic segment tax)
$5.60 per one-way trip, per passenger (September 11th security fee)
$4.50 per passenger (Local airports assess Passenger Facility Charges -- PFCs -- this amount varies by airport)
$8.90 per flight segment, per passenger on certain segments beginning or ending in Alaska or Hawaii."

It may have been meaningless in the long run to go through and figure this out, but I'm happy I did.

Thanks!