FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth moving to AA Advantage after Ba Gold is reached
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:19 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A few disadvantages to ponder over, not that it will necessarily be a blocker to this approach:

- Lifetime TPs, bearing in mind something may happen to you in the future which will make you travel more.

- If you give the excess travel to AA and you end up doing some unforeseen travel towards the end of the year you may lose out on a GUF2 at 2,500 TPs (etc).

- The general issue of having lots of pots of small amounts of airmiles. I've been there in the past and unless you are very controlled about it, it's easy to excessively segment.

- Risk of not having enough Avios to make best use of things like Amex 2-4-1, if one comes in unexpectedly. Things like Gold extra availability (Domestic and Economy) and Gold Priority Redemptions are not available to AA travellers, so it's best to ensure your Avios account is kept stocked for this.

- Once AA knows you have an AA card they don't easily forget about it. I found it almost impossible to completely stop some transactions being billed to AA when I wanted them to go to BAEC. Even after the account was closed down.