FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:10 pm
AllieKat

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
3-D Secure is awful and terrible and I hated every second of being forced to use it when I was overseas. American consumers don't want it and don't care. The bank has to eat fraud losses, and trying to push some imaginary bogeyman of CNP fraud onto customers is going to flop. It also teaches people horrible security practices (just type your bank account password in anywhere a form pops up, it's fine!) and doesn't do anything to really fix the problem in the first place.

EMV has benefits for the customer of global acceptance, which is enough to get people to adopt it, and the reduction in card-present fraud is just a nice bonus.
3-D Secure needs to be implemented well. "Sign into your bank account" implementations are terrible. Enter a random, app or SMS generated one time password implementations are fantastic. No personal info is given, just a worthless OTP so it can't be phished effectively.

Remember that fraud ultimately costs cardholders, so don't see it as not your problem.

Originally Posted by tmiw
Speaking of pay at the table, supposedly Square has support for it but their site is less than clear as to how that works exactly.
Yeah, the phone app I've seen Square Stands used for pay at the table as well, but that's not going to work with the EMV reader.

Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not so sure about that. I've only seen a grand total of two EMV capable terminals at McDonalds locations and it doesn't look like it's gone up much.
I don't expect the random scattered EMV capable terminals to be used. I expect a mass re-terminalisation. I've heard that the awful drive through Apple Pay implementation is temporary as well. I expect new chip and PIN pads installed, that's my suspicion. Maybe not by Oct 1, but soon after.