FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FT needs a General car rental subforum
View Single Post
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:19 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Flyertall
As the OP who initiated the request for a General car rental forum, I'm a bit perplexed at how complicated this once simple suggestion has become.

On other forums (not travel related) that I frequent, a warrantable suggestion found to be meritorious by a moderator would be implemented in less than a minute. Done. But here, the simple suggestion somehow has morphed into an entire revamping of the rental car forum, involving motions and counter motions and months of discussion. Really?

I just wanted an appropriate place to ask general rental car questions that were not specific to any particular rental car company. Like many frequent travelers, I am enrolled in several frequent rental car programs, and unlike airline frequent flyer programs, there are fewer incentives to remaining loyal to one particular car rental program, as well as much more variability in price, discounts, and car availability from week to week and airport to airport.

There is no need to dismantle the current company based car rental forum to simply add a "General" rental car forum at the top of the list. There is still a very valid reason to have a separate forum for the majors like Hertz, Avis, Alamo, National, Budget, Dollar, and Thrifty... companies who have some sort of presence (either onsite or by shuttle) at most US airports. And there is a case for having an "alternate" or "other" rental car forum for the other brands who do not maintain as ubiquitous of presence at all airports, like Fox, Payless, Sixt, EZ-Rent, etc.

But where do questions go that do not fall within a specific brand? I generally rent from the majors, so putting my general question in the "other" forum for the minors would not be appropriately found, categorized, or archived. Hence I perceived a need for a general rental car forum, because there are some rental car strategies that are applicable to the act of renting a car, regardless of brand, and those strategies are not limited to the renting of "other" or "alternative" minor rental car companies, but also include the majors, perhaps moreso.
No good deed goes unpunished

Cheers.