FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me or are BA really starting to suck all of the joy out of flying lately?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:25 am
Calchas
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cradders
It's also possible to get a reasonable amount of info from duedil.com.

I'd agree that most directors will have a PA to intercept such things though - and more importantly that shareholders will win over customers. Without a new product offering to allow increased prices (read - aging fleet and no longer an innovative hard product) combined with capacity issues caused by their hub airport, I do wonder how else they would be likely to show the increased profits next year that their shareholders demand.

That's not a defence of their attitude, more what I assume is their rationale. Long term thinking doesn't come into I suspect. I just don't see any way around it though unless a large slice of their profitable customers start to look at the alternatives.
BA are absolutely petrified of investing in their product. Read their annual reports. Every investment comes with a hard expected return figure. Anything that cannot be quantified is out.

That's fine for the shareholders in the short term but of course it is very hard to capture the return on a £15 / cleaner / hour vs £10 / cleaner / hour or the upside of fitting a new F seat vs the effect of reusing the old one.

Whereas squeezing an extra 14 seats on a crop duster plane looks very good in Microsoft Excel.