FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - View from the Wing [VFTW] discussions
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:29 am
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Lol, I've been saying this for years! The devaluation of the programs causes consumers to drop their blinders. That is GOOD for consumers!

I'm glad he finally conceded the point! ^
I read it as his attempt to convince Delta not to throw consumers into the briar patch (to use an even older cultural reference). Like the people at Delta would be listening to the guy who regularly boasts that he invented the term, SkyPesos.

We know that an increasingly revenue-based world of airline redemptions would only undercut VFTW's award booking business. And in my mind, there's no doubt that most of the airline programs would like to follow in the footsteps of IHG, Marriott, and Hilton rather than keep their FFPs as arbitrage opportunities for savvy FTers.

Of course, the question is, can they? In the short term, with an improving economy and consolidation of the major players, I think so, which is why Delta's recent decisions, while bad for most of us, are great for the financials of the airlines. Southwest and Delta are farther along the path, United is interested in closing the gap, and the exclamation point will be if AA decides they gain no competitive advantage by continuing on the older, alternative path.