FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FT needs a General car rental subforum
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:59 am
dwbf11
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Reposting my comment from the Topic thread, as no one has responded in there directly.

Forgive me as it's hard for me to figure out exactly what is going to be deleted/moved around given all of the noise in here. I am fine with the amendment as stated in the first post, but now I am confused.

As an initial matter, while I realize there is limited traffic in many of these forums, I wonder what exactly is prompting this sudden deletion of these sub forums. Is FT tight on server space or something? As my fellow moderator tcook052 aptly noted, just because a forum does not have a ton of posting activity does not mean it is not viewed, searched, or otherwise accessed by FT users and guests, and this could be handled by other, less drastic means.

Notwithstanding that, and, to the extent this discussion involves a move towards rental companies being grouped by "parent" company, my $.02 as moderator of the National forum is please don't.

The whole point of parents having different brands is to cater to different demands and customer bases. Our main traffic in National is business travelers, which makes sense given that National primarily markets itself to that group. Alamo is geared more towards leisure travelers and Enterprise the replacements market/neighborhood presence. Avis is the upmarket equivalent of Budget. Etc. (Gross generalizations I realize, but bear with me.)

Simply put, I believe it would be profoundly distracting for all of us active posters/moderators to start having to field questions from renters on other brands just because they happen to be owned by the same parent company. Given what is often a wide disparity in loyalty program mechanics and other policy differences, frankly many of the answers which would be sought would not even be well known, so in essence information would be harder to get. For instance, most of the posters in my forum are not Alamo or Enterprise experts. I think that runs counter to the stated goal here.

tl;dr, this seems like an answer to a question no one asked, but I am open to being convinced otherwise.