FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feedback thread for the official LH Lurker(s), LufthansaGermanAirlines
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:23 am
LufthansaGermanAirlines
Company Representative - Lufthansa Airlines

Originally Posted by Sakae
My last flight with LH now dates back almost two years, and despite pretty good service I received from LH on bunch of flights over past twenty years, perhaps I will be forgiven for my gaps over current state of flying experience with this airline. In the past it was easy, one bought a ticket, was processed, and that was end of it, however by sheer coincidence I came across at another internet site contributions of several passengers who were describing what appeared rather unpleasant recent experiences. Complains were about unexpected extra fees charges for seats over an above initial fee they had to pay. I am of course uncertain if such cases were result of poor pre-flight planning or something else.

Since it appears that in here are a few professional people who can comment on that subject from position of knowledge, may I ask two questions then, please?

Later this year I shall be traveling on round trip (most likely in Economy) from Frankfurt to Tokyo (Narita) for one to three months in duration.

1. Where on Lufthansa site I can obtain comprehensive overview on all cost-items I should expect, please?

2. Dimensionally, what is the largest personal item (briefcase) that shall fit into a LH sizing frame, and with which I can board the plane? My standard shoulder business briefcase of many years is 42x31x9. Regulation is quoted what I presume is a nominal size 40x30x10, and some offset on sizer probably exists in order to absorb item deformities and minor manufacturing variances.

Question is then, whether I shall need to purchase a new item for this trip, or a small (and how small) deviation shall be tolerated, thus will my bag 42x31x9 fit into a sizer?

40x30x10 briefcases are of course available on the market (for extra EUR800).

Thank you
Hi Sakae,

has it really been two years? It's about time you start flying with us again!

In regards to your questions, let me try to explain what has been changed and updated since the last time you have travelled using Lufthansa.

1. In addition to set fees for excess baggage and special luggage as well as animal transport, Lufthansa implemented the chargeable seat reservation for lower Economy classes on long- and short-haul flights last year. Furthermore, we do offer a reservation for seats with more legroom. Latter requires a charge for all fares. An overview on all seat-related fees can be found here: http://f.lh.com/DsKt

2. The dimension for carry-on baggage still are 55 x 40 x 23 cm (75 x 54 x 15 cm for foldable garment bags) and have not been changed. Mentioned sizers are available for these bags. In addition, you're allowed to take another item of hand lugagge (max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm) with you: http://f.lh.com/HxAa As your briefcase appears slightly larger, transport should be possible in accordance with former given dimensions. I even assume it might be accepted as the smaller, second piece
of your carry-on items and consider a new purchase as not necessary.

I hope I was able to give you the answer(s) you were looking for!

Best regards, Katharina

Last edited by LufthansaGermanAirlines; Mar 3, 2015 at 4:46 am