FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Platinum Card / Hertz #1 Club Gold
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:24 pm
Clipper801

Originally Posted by Tahoe Travler
Found out I have Five Star today. Not sure if I received 5 star from Amex Plat in gold profile or rental history last year. But after numerous unrequested minivan assignments in 900 numbered spots (a significant hike from gold canopy), I took a break from Hertz and car rental. I've used Uber Cab on all LAX trips so far this year. But, today I had to rent a car. My gold profile full size with GPS was automatically upgraded to a Mercedes C250 per "carfirmation" email when I landed; no upgrade charge. Nothing like this has ever happened before. Then, I was offered a further upgrade when gawking the really cool cars by Gold area. Four forms of ID later, I had cherry red a 2014 Porsche Cayman, mileage charges waived, and only a $100 up charge/day. That brought the total rental per day to $152+tax/fees/unlimited mileage. I NEVER would have gotten this in previous gold status years. Contract says 5 star, so I have to wonder if this is actually a significant bump up or dumb sunday luck at LAX.
Originally Posted by seawolf
In my opinion, you were just lucky. What you typically get with five star from a midsize would be a camry.
During the past 2 years, I have rented about 6~7 times from Hertz and never once received an upgrade with the Gold 5 Star level membership that comes with my Amex The Platinum card.

I think companies are all throwing in the "complimentary upgrade" in their promotion but the excuse has always been that "it's subject to availability". They never have any intention to offer free upgrade.