FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2-Months into new Skymiles Program, Depression Sets In
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:19 am
flyerUSA

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by captiveguru
I think this is my situation. Am I missing something? Just completed my first RT of the year and see this in my SkyMiles account:

Outbound:
MQMs 1,968
MQDs $304
RDMs 1,520
Bonus RDMs 1,824
Total RDMs 3,344

Return:
MQMs 1,968
MQDs $400
RDMs 2,000
Bonus RDMs 2,400
Total RDMs 4,400

How am I worse off?
Well, you spent $700 + tax (so probably $800) on a roundtrip ticket. Which is on the high range of fares. And even with that high fare and your DM status, you only earned 7744 miles, instead of 7872 miles. You earned less.

Now imagine somebody who isn't DM, or who traveled in a discounted fare class, they would be getting maybe 1/2 the miles that you did.

Which just makes the point (again, b/c so many threads here are about this topic) that – although DM's and high fares get the best treatment, EVERYBODY LOSES in this plan, either a lot or a little.

(There are also some cases where you can actually end up earning more miles than before, most notably on expensive, short haul flights. Those kinds of people will probably reply and say "I come out better!" but, obviously, Delta did not make this change to give out MORE miles, they made the change to give out LESS. In the aggregate, there are now LESS miles being awarded to the entire customer base, and at the same time, award tickets cost MORE, with the new ranges being a smokescreen.)