FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:29 pm
uds0

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
First Tech FCU Chip and PIN priority

Update:

ALL reps (6 so far) have assured me that at any terminal (US or abroad), this card will ask for a PIN first, if supported, and then signature (if supported) if not. Also heard that the pin cannot be currently specified or changed until later this year, and that VISA cards will be sent out until the "stock" is consumed, then MCs will start being sent out. They are now insisting that if a terminal is offline, the card will not work (no offline pin? - darn if true!). The chip and pin credit card is now on it's way (7-10 days; 2 days possible for $20 expedite fee) so I'll report the CVM list to confirm or refute this. Concerning international debit card ATM fee rebates, the local branch reaffirmed that all ATM fees here and abroad would be reimbursed, but other folks on the phone stated that International would not be reimbursed. The local rep has promised to email me to confirm that international ATM fees are reimbursed. There is no cash advance fee, so using the credit card, if it doesn't trigger credit ATM fees (which are NOT reimbursed), that might be a good resource if paid off fairly quickly (My credit card is 12% on cash advances).

They have been very responsive and a pleasure to deal with. Their online system seems pretty good, and they specifically allow a full year or more of transaction date range (unlike Chase, and maybe BofA?, which allows only 90 days max and may not allow starting date more than 365 days so the transactions for the prior year may need to be downloaded/printed on Jan 1 to get them all?!?

My app for the CU membership was approved within minutes yesterday, and my $10k VISA app was approved this morning:

"Thank you for your loan application with First Tech. Your loan [?!?] request has been approved"

The process was a bit like getting a loan, despite high 700s Experian credit score.

Upon reviewing and electronically signing the approved loan app this morning, I noted a few typos, which I could not fix, including missing address details and incorrect ownership status of the place I live, despite correcting these issues with the local rep yesterday in person during the app process, and that ONLY my monthly social security check was listed as total income (I'm retired so no w2)!

Might be worth assuring that if you don't have w2 or ss income you get confirmation that other income will be considered.

You must specifically ask for the chip and pin card or you may get a non-chipped card. Chipped debit cards are reportedly not available until late summer or fall.

Last edited by uds0; Feb 27, 2015 at 2:00 pm