FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GoEnvoy/business and other TA upgrades
View Single Post
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:11 am
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gruss
I asked anyone who would listen when flying PHL-LHR a few weeks ago and without deviation was told that there are no complementary upgrades on international flights regardless of status (which I knew to be the official policy but figured I'd try my luck as I was planning to use my certs on another set of flights this past week).

That said, after boarding was complete on the 25% loaded plane, one of the FAs from up front came back and grabbed three Chairmen and told them they could move up front. So while the policy on the ground seems to be hard and fast, there is still some small chance of getting an unexpected upgrade.

My flight back from LHR a few weeks ago as well as yesterday both went out with empty seats up front.
I have been flying with USAirways (or whatever other name they used) since 1991. I have been nothing, Silver, Gold and Dougie's Preferred. I have never been granted a complimentary upgrade to Envoy (I know it's now Business but I always thought the name Envoy represented High Class). I used the certificates, cash and points, and cash methods with 95% success in the past 6 years. And all the seats in Envoy were occupied in my flights. So, I don't think I would ever have the courage to wait for the chance of a complimentary upgrade especially since they are still trying to sell the upgrade at the gate. I would like to know what days of what months, there's only a 25% load. Because, even though I usually managed to upgrade, sometimes the upgrade would clear only 4 hours before the flight. My wife did experience once a plane with 25% load but it was two weeks after September 11.

Three times we took our annual trip to Europe with BA. We are BA Blue, so nothing. Every time we got upgraded in one direction: twice from Economy to Premium Economy and once from Premium Economy to Business.