FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA endorses ticket to UA, UA can't find ticket / won't allow boarding
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:22 pm
TerryK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPGabe
....BP's are easily able to be printed without a Ticket attached...but a passenger absolutely CANNOT be boarded without either a paper or an e-ticket. So for those saying it can be done after the fact...it really can't. Passenger totals can't be updated and a flight can't be closed out without those unticketed passengers being reconciled.....
Great insider info. ^ The "agreement" OP kept referring to is likely just an interline agreement between IATA airlines. It requires airlines to accept each other's tickets, electronic or paper. Hence, all legacy airlines allow printing of boarding passes without valid eticket or else no one with paper ticket can check in. Those boarding passes without eticket attached are only valid for boarding with paper ticket coupon.

Originally Posted by MSPGabe
....For those who are worried, just make sure if you're Rule 240'd over to another carrier, you get both the OAL record locater AND the new eticket number. UA's system isn't alone in struggling with this. A lot of airlines' systems don't work perfectly when a PNR is created from an OAL.
The trouble is most airlines are reluctant to give out new eticket number or a new eticket printout. It is unclear to me if OP really has new eticket printout. I always request paper ticket or paper FIM, especially with foreign airlines, failing that I asked for eticket printout. Unfortunately, I frequently get turn down even with just eticket number. "You don't need. You are set."

Last edited by TerryK; Feb 23, 2015 at 8:47 pm