FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Intl HA Flight, 9 hour mechanical delay, $100 travel voucher only?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:50 pm
Alex909

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
I heard about the aborted takeoff incident on the A330. The flight attendants might have been a little confused and stressed out, as they often are in mechanical issue situations, but I think the pilot did you all a great service with his quick command decision to abort the flight. You don't want to go out over hours and hours of water without being certain about your precise airspeed.

I agree that $100 is not a lot of money for the inconvenience, especially since you were on an international flight. $300 would be more in line with what some other carriers might credit (data point: Alaska Air credited me $300 towards my account with them this past December when we had to abort our flight to OAK and come back into HNL, followed by an 8 hour delay due to an issue with the starboard engine hydraulic oil system.) And there is the fact that you all were probably scared. I don't think you are absolutely entitled to get monetary compensation, but needless to say, Hawaiian would be smart to give you a reward that makes you feel treated so fairly so that you use them again on your next Hawaii vacation and tell your friends about it.

The situation with lost items on Hawaiian is a whole other story. I left my cellphone on a Hawaiian flight to Japan last year and it took me weeks of phone calls to Japan and Honolulu to locate and retrieve it (luckily I used to live in Japan and speak the language.) I also needed to set up the FedEx account at my own cost, which I think they should have waived in your case since you had the hardship of an aborted takeoff.

Last edited by Alex909; Feb 24, 2015 at 12:40 am