FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cuba Trip Report – Jan. 2015 (US Citizen)
Old Feb 22, 2015, 7:38 pm
SJOGuy

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Okay. Thank you. Speaking the local language (and speaking it well) does allow for two things. You've cited one of them here:

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
However, I do think that someone who speaks fluent (or very good) Spanish would have the opportunity to have some meaningful conversations with real locals when they get off the beaten tourist path, and these interactions could enhance one's visit.
But the other one is in dealing with the how-to-get-around, how-to deal-with-problems logistics of the place. Where can I buy that bottle of water? How can I buy that bus ticket that seems to be unavailable? Where can I find that good music that everybody raves about? Don't get me wrong. I'm not timid, and I do travel to countries whose language I don't speak. It's a lot easier, though, to navigate a place and smooth over issues when you do know the language. I'm just wondering if that didn't contribute to some of the frustration.

Good for you for going on this adventure. No one says we have to like every place we visit. I have my places I'd never go back to.