FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QR/CX to and from Hong Kong
View Single Post
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:12 am
remdk

Codeshare – QR5800/QR5801:

Codeshare – QR5800/QR5801:

It is nearly 11 months since the Codeshare agreement DOH-HKG came into effect and it is about time to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of it based upon experience.

The following is based upon my personal experience and opinion of these two flights.

Advantages:

Aircraft:
QR has the clear advantage that it saves one aircraft that can be used on other routes. With demand for aircraft fast outstripping those available this would be sensible.

Searing:
For most, but not all, passengers the Business Class seating of 1-2-1 rather than 2-2-2 appears to be an advantage.

Disadvantages:

Baggage allowance:
Between DOH and HKG only the economy baggage allowance is 30kgs. Connecting flights are a completely different matter. If your ticket says QR5800/QR5801 then your allowance is 30 kgs. for the entire journey. If it is CX640/CX645 then you baggage allowance is only 20 kgs. These rules are buried deep within CX baggage rules.

OLCI:
Cannot be used! Because QR5800/QR5801 are actually operated by CX then QR's OLCI will not allow check-in for these two flights. The same is now true for CX OLCI. It was not so last August. Seamless travel!

Upgrades:
for these flights Upgrades are not possible in spite of the flight number being QR, as well as CX. I recently saw the statement “Not wholly operated by QR” as the reason. (Where?)

Flight Awards:
Having checked several different dates I cannot find any award itineraries that include QR5800/QR5801.

Upgrade and Flight awards
For both upgrades and award flights to use QR5800/QR5801 I would have to book CPH-DOH on QR and then DOH-HKG on CX. Two uncoordinated tickets that one airline could change without notifying either the passenger or the other airline! Seamless travel?? Add to this IATA rules dictate that the baggage allowance would be CX's 20 kgs rather than QR's 30 kgs.

Qmiles and Qpoints:
Last August these were immediately credited to my account automatically. Now to claim them you have to act as if they are partner flights! Now – send an e-mail with reservation, ticket numbers all flight details, boarding cards etc etc. Seamless travel!

In-flight service:
Where in the Business cabin is QR's five star service that has been paid for? Cabin service for CX would probably just qualify for three stars. On all but one of my flights the FA's each seemed to have a specific task to perform and that task only. They were all rushing around the cabin falling over each other in such a 'ruddy blush' that the passenger felt they were sitting in a mainline railway station in rush hour rather than a tranquil business class cabin. My impression was that one FA saw to passenger needs, one laid tables, one served food, one cleared tables, one took drink orders and one served drinks. This was my impression and the following example confirms it for me. When my main course was served I asked for more wine. A couple of minutes later the drink orders FA came and confirmed that I wanted more wine and a couple of minutes after that my drink was actually served! No wonder the FA's look tired when they disembark.

In the following link the advantages of the codeshare are enumerated by QR.
http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...ocale_id=en_gl

“The new agreement will give customers of both airlines more opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer points or miles. Top-tier members from Cathay Pacific’s The Marco Polo Club and Qatar Airways’ The Privilege Club will enjoy reciprocal benefits when travelling on flights between Hong Kong and Qatar, including lounge access, extra baggage allowances, priority boarding and many other priority services. “
“Qatar Airways’ CEO Akbar Al Baker said: “Qatar Airways is delighted to extend our oneworld partnership with Cathay Pacific with this new initiative as it will offer our passengers the opportunity to enjoy an even greater range of five-star benefits. The advantages of this agreement, such as premium lounge access and extra baggage allowances, reflect our ongoing commitment to ensure that we offer the highest standard of in-flight experience.”

Are these not ALL Oneworld benefits and nothing to do with codeshare?

The above is based upon my opinions and observations of Codeshare. What are yours? Let us have a serious discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of codeshare to the QR passenger. Please be aware of the fact that there are probably differences depending on the partner supplying the aircraft.