FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Asian Adventure - QR/MH/AK - the one that nearly did not happen!
Old Feb 22, 2015, 4:46 am
gav0106

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Part 2 - The HIA Hotel Doha

Welcome to Part 2, our stay over at Doha.

At time of booking flights, we decided we would meet my old school friend in Doha, either on way out or return. It turned out it would be way back, but I left long layover both ways to make sure.
Due to this I decided to try the HIA Hotel at Doha, now it is not cheap, but they have a captive audience I guess

HIA Hotel Doha
Rate: 170GBP - 12 hour stay
Deluxe Room

The hotel is easy to find, but have very strict rules so be aware. You must have a real boarding card, not an online print out, something to do with security. Chap at check in was very surprised when I told him we just walked off plane straight here with no checks

We arrived off the LHR flight, and we were directed straight into the terminal on the same floor, if you go up escalators to Transfer you have to go through security again, we had to do this on way back from Singapore so I can only guess there is agreement security wise with London and not Singapore

We headed to the main area - the big teddy bear

The hotel is well signed and on level 3 above the Oryx lounge and below Vitality Leisure Centre

Main Reception

Check in was quick and painless - do note, although advance purchase rates, they do not take any money until guests arrive.

It seems rooms are all on 3rd floor and we were given deluxe room with view of Teddy, mmm, well this is view:

The room is modern, good size and clean. Good range of channels on TV, Ritual toiletries in bathroom, and T/C facilities.
Downside:
Noisy, there is a wooden shutter to pull over windows, but you still hear noise from Terminal, I would highly recommend a room on opposite side.
Finish is not great, some plugs loose etc.
However staff are great, and they do actually want to hear your thoughts and they take it in board.

Overall a decent place to get some rest if you have long layover

The Room

The Vitality Centre

One benefit of staying at hotel is free access to gym and pool. This cost $40 to use if you want to pay and again is great place to pass some time.

The pool is located on the 4th floor on the bridge connecting the two sides of the airport, and is nice and warm.

Great new gym with modern kit.

Changing rooms have all you need and have some areas for massages, which as I found out are not changing rooms. There is no where to change really just one small bench.

Nice jacuzzi though ^

After a good stay and rest it was time for the next flight. We did visit the lounge, but I will review this on the way back.

Up next Part 3 - The Dream