FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Convince that MR points are worth earning
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:39 am
TReckoner

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eajusa
Yes everyone has different needs. I stick with Hilton because I get 10 base points doubled to 20 plus 5 points plus 25% gold bonus plus 12 points from Amex. I end up with at least 39.5 points per $. I also transfer at least 1000 points to HHonors every month from e-Miles, another 1000 from e-rewards. I earn 6 points per dollar on gas groceries and dining, and 3 points per $ on CVS and everything else. I earn $5 per $ on airlines and car rentals. Citi gives me one free night per year with the Reserve card. The Prestige card earns me 4.5 points per dollar through TYP and transfer. I recently received 3000 points per order from FTD, and in and on it goes. 100,000 HHonor points a month is easy for me, and I am a small spender compared to what I read on the Forums.
Yeah, your approach is much more practical if you wanted to get in a Hilton.
That's definitely competitive with my Marriott earning strategy. I wouldn't go that route myself though, since me and Citi are not on good terms and probably won't be for sometime.

I'm only saying the scenario of doing it using EDP on it's own is not very valuable and, like you laid out, a strategy to get good value out of the Hilton program would need to be pretty comprehensive.

Last edited by TReckoner; Feb 21, 2015 at 11:54 am