FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:59 pm
as219

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by elva
I don't believe it can get more absurd than that. You are essentially accusing people of being intelligent entities, acting in a non-random way and selecting the most beneficial option for them. Do you think we should select random website to book our flights, select random point of sale, dates, departure and arrival airports and then pay? Otherwise it is "website manipulation"?

If you choose to book on wideroe.com instead of united.com, because the fares were lower there — intelligent choice detected, ticket voided!

Or if you select RGN as your departure airport — website manipulation, ticket voided!

If you select a different date than initially searched for — just because the new one is much cheaper — obvious website manipulation, ticket voided!

Yes, usually much less people book on wideroe, of fly from RGN, or fly on e.g. June 8th, or select DKK as their billing currency — but when it is beneficial, obviously more do. So what?!
Neither here nor there, but when you try to buy a ticket from A to B, both of which are in country 1, from the UA website in country 2, at the very end you get this message:

The fare and payment options below are based on selected flights, traveler information and a COUNTRY 2 billing address. Have a billing address in another country? Select your billing address country. Any change made may result in a different fare and available payment options.
Putting aside the loaded term "manipulation," it seems to me UA can easily argue that unless your billing address actually is in Denmark, you shouldn't have had access to the DKK fare in the first place. Yes, I know things are "complicated" in Europe; and yes, I know many people have done this in the past without a hitch, so why does UA allow it if it's not "consistent" with their fare rules. But the fact one has gotten away with something doesn't make it UA's obligation to honor. I think this will get UA out of the vast majority of the tickets on this basis. That said, I don't think they have a leg to stand on with respect to folks with Danish billing addresses.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out...