FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:12 am
Zeeb

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
I never ask for an upgrade. I feel rather awkward and stupid asking for something that I really should be entitled to. The one time I did OLCI at Hilton SYD I got upgraded to the top suite available there - go figure, that property is notoriously stingy with room upgrades IME.
These days I'm pretty grateful to get the room category I booked, Exec Lounge access , decent wi-fi and breakfast. Anything else is a bonus.
I agree on that. I don't see why one should have to ask about an upgrade for a hotel room. If there is space available, there should be an upgrade. That's the policy. Hotels should follow it. I can't imagine a circumstance where someone would not desire an upgrade (or, at worst, be indifferent to it) such that the hotel would need to not only wait and make sure someone wanted a nicer room, but actually require them to initiate the conversation. The only possible thing I could think of would be someone having mobility issues and an upgrade could be a longer walk. But someone with those issues would have the same problem regardless of room type.