FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me or are BA really starting to suck all of the joy out of flying lately?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:14 am
Andriyko

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Perhaps short term, but when the people paying the big bucks are leaving for better products, leaving just I class HNLers and corporate discounters paying less for a J bucket tHan those in WTP, is it really good? Is de-stocking the club kitchen, or enhancing breakfast, really worth the straws piling on the back?
That's wishful thinking. If people were really leaving BA would have reacted and we'd see it in passenger numbers.
I think the first to complain are people who travel on employers/clients' dime. They can't vote with their wallets so they think that complaining on a public forum will change something. No, it won't. Leisure travellers like me are fine with BA as it is. Let's just look how much cheaper it is to fly WTP/CW, even WT, now than a few years ago. All I see in CW is a comfortable way to travel (the seat, and I can confirm that one does not need to be an Olympic gymnast to get out of a window seat) - I do not expect pampering and gourmet meals. People's expectations are high...very high...like from another era. I want cheaper prices so if that means no hot towel which I always refuse (what's it for anyway?) or less choice in club kitchen (I have not used it once in 8 years) I am fine with it.
People get spoiled really quickly. For most, travelling anything but Y is an unachievable dream, and when you travel in WTP you can see how much better CW is, but when you travel CW all the time suddenly you want it to be F.
If I see a WTP seat in CW the next time I fly I'd be outraged, but in 8 years of flying CW I have not noticed the colour or shape of the tray or linen or the vintage of wines or whether or not hot towel was offered to me - because I don't care. They don't define comfortable travel for me. I only read about these things on this forum, and even then I have hard time picturing what is it that people are complaining about so passionately.
Most people judge airlines by overall comfort rather than individual components, and BA remains a comfortable airline to fly.
In a way, any business class seat nowadays is a luxurious way to travel. What can be more luxurious than a bed on the plane? And many refuse to pay for it when they are travelling with their families on vacation rather than for work...