FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia Trip
Thread: Australia Trip
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:15 am
TelAvivLife

Originally Posted by kcupp95
Absolutely.

Kuranda Scenic Rail and Kuranda Skyrail. Scenic trip through rainforest. Usually do one-way train and one-way Skyrail and spend the day in Kuranda village. Heaps if things to do there like the butterfly sanctuary and cuddle a koala etc.

Mossman Gorge, Cape Tribulation and Port Douglas. You will need a car or an organized tour as these places are 1-2 hours drive out of Cairns. Stunning drive hugging the coastline to Port Douglas. I would recommend self-drive so you can stop at your own leisure. If you go to all 3 places leave early as it will take a full day. Alternatively just visit Mossman Gorge and Cape Trib as save Port Douglas for another day. The car ferry to cross the Daintree only takes cash.

Adrenaline activities - white water rafting, bungee jumping, skydiving etc - all of course are $100+. Rafting the Tully River is a great day, make sure you book the extreme package.

If you hire the car (really recommend that) then check out Crystal Cascades and Behana Gorge which are local swimming creeks in the rainforest.

Head up to Palm Cove and Trinity Beach for a lunch and a sunbake. Trinity is smaller and more laid back and casual, and Palm Cove has a lot nore shops, restaurants, cafes etc. If you come during summer than you won't be able to swim because of the stingers in the water.

If you're here during the dry season (April to Nov) check out the beach shack at Kewarra Beach. It's a bar right on the sand. Opening days and hours vary, so check their Facebook before you go.
Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to write that. That all sounds INCREDIBLE!!! Have you also spent anytime in Sydney / Melbourne? How does it compare to the Cairns region? It sounds like theres a lot to do in the periphy of Cairns anf I'm seriously wondering whether it would be better if I just spent a few days in syd./Mel and spent the rest of the time in cairns and periphy and also doing that great ocean drive someone else mentioned sounds pretty neat!