FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The IRROPS saga of UA154 (Island Hopper) of Friday the 13th
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:23 pm
spearsba

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by DiverDave
But I don't remember extra crew on the 737s either. I wonder if they did crew changeovers at one of the stops in the middle. I never flew past KWA.

David
I flew the HNL-MAJ-KWA route twice a year from 2005-2012. At that time they only had one extra pilot, always in 1A. The FAA changed the rules I believe in 2014 as I now do a MAC ATI flight Hickam to KWA. Those flights used to do a turn and burn Hickam-KWA-Hickam twice a week. They now have to remain overnight at KWA before returning to Hickam. I stopped using the UA flight after three consecutive failures to depart HNL on a Monday morning. I do miss the 5K RT miles, but need to get to KWA.

Originally Posted by aoumd
13. AVOID TRAVEL AROUND MAJOR ASIAN HOLIDAYS (AMERICAN HOLIDAYS AREN'T AN ISSUE). GUM revolves around Asian tourism. Asian Holidays mean there is little to no hotel space in GUM if your flight arrives late and you need to stay somewhere until your flight the next day.
Also the HNL-MAJ-KWA flights tend to be full after Christmas/New Years holidays, around Spring Break and at the end of summer.

I did the KWA-GUM hopper leg once heading to OKA. I did enjoy the flight, but once was enough.