FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:25 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Irelandflyer
I'd be reluctant to start discussing what compromise would be appropriate as it would seem to tacitly acknowledge UA can weasel out of the contract.
Settling is not weaseling. Settling would acknowledge that both sides may be willing to agree to something that may not be what the original contract was.

United Continental Holdings does not want to fly people for the price paid in the cabin booked.

Many purchasers may not necessarily need the trip, rather they bought it because it was a good deal and would have otherwise taken it had it not been for the cancellation.

United Continental Holdings may also have a liability for their actions, specifically in unilaterally canceling the tickets.

Offering the purchaser something of perceived value that they desire in exchange for canceling the original trip purchased, while also releasing United Continental Holdings of their liability, may be a win-win.

Reminds me of the HA ICN deal a few years back -- they gave people a free Y ticket on HA when they canceled the ticket. HA knew perfectly well that the purchasers were mostly Americans and had to position to ICN for the trip.

United Continental Holdings knows just as well that most purchasers were likely Americans, and they would need to position to LHR or wherever to start their trips. That carries a cost -- both in cash and time. As such, if given the option of taking the trip as purchased, or being offered an alternative (e.g., voucher, miles, upgrade, etc.), I suspect many would sign a release for the right settlement.