FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Venice and milan food recs
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyingHoustonian

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Perche
Here we go again, from you suggesting that it's easier to bring a gun into Italy and walk around with it than it is in Texas, to saying that we should punch people in the face if they like the pizza in Milan, now this.
You have some serious memory issues and this is an outright lie.

FACT- I Never said it was easier to bring a gun to Italy and walk around than Texas.

Second, I realise you might have issue with sarcasm, but my point about pizza in Milano was based on humour, as the context and emiticons show, but again you are still WRONG in your posting, I said something slightly different in response. You have issues with facts...and apparently sarcasm too and nuance in replies.

I've been living in Venice half time for the last five years.
Good for you, one would think you would have better knowledge of the place...
I lived there FULL time for nearly two and half in the last six years, and am back just as often as you over the last three.

You cannot walk into Al Covo, Il ridotto, Antiche Carampane, Il Quadri, etc., even in mid-January, without a reservation.

And who said you could? I did not;

was this response meant for someone else? Are you confusing threads?
Maybe for lunch, but not for dinner. You are not going to walk into any of the finer restaurants in Rome without a reservation either.
It seems you are confusing 'finer' restaurants with an osteria or trattoria.
No one said you did not need a res at high end place, and in fact I said to get one at Al Covo.

Are there some mom and pop places that serve good food in Italy? Yes, but telling someone to just walk into a mom and pop place is bad advice for someone staying in a touristy part of Italy.
No, it actually is not, especially if one knows what to look for....except in Venezia; I will give you that as the food is often not that great to begin with.

But you did not say that, go back and look at what you typed and how it applies to all of Italia in your blanket post. Had you posted some qualifier related to just Venezia, maybe, but you did not.

If they are anywhere near where tourists stay the food is almost always made at tourist level. If you know where to go, and you have a car or other transportation to get there, you may find a mom and pop place that is off the grid and that serves decent food. But telling a visitor to Rome, Venice, or Florence to just walk into any old place, instead of doing some research and finding out which restaurants will guarantee that you will eat well, is just a bad strategy for finding great food in Italy.
For Venezia and Roma, yes, but that is not what you said. (Firenze, I contend you are wrong but that is for another thread.)

If you do your research before hand and know where you want to eat because it is a good place, if you just walk up to the door on a Saturday night and say I'd like a table, they will say, "do you have a reservation?" If you say no, they will say, "sorry." That obviously doesn't include some small town in Basilicata, but it does include everywhere that tourists tend to go, unless they get very lucky.
And that depends. There are thousands of "touristy" restaurants around Italia where people can go and eat without one and they posted about it online, in travel blogs, and in tourist guidebooks.

Of course people should do their research. That is what the OP is doing here.
However a tourist in Italia does not need to spend a large sum of money to eat well in much of Italia. Your posting made it sound like otherwise.

But you need to read words carefully and stop lying in responses...it is bad form.

People can disagree, but lying or trying to twist words is bad form.