FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] UA: NCL-EWR 600 DKK (mistaken fare) DOT ruled; see wiki for link
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:35 pm
Deltahater

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by iahphx
Sorry, but that argument doesn't make me very sympathetic to the poor ticket holders "plight."

Have any airlines actually been fined yet for not honoring mistake fares? The idea of fines here seems absurd. I guess the DOT could make UA honor the fare, but I think that's a longshot. The most likely outcome is the DOT comes up with a rationale to do the "right thing" -- which is to not let us buy these tickets for pennies on the dollar when we were clearly gaming the system. That ruling could have consequences in the future when the facts aren't so clear cut. For instance, I remember being involved in a BA incident a few years ago when they cancelled all our $500 USA-India coach tickets (some, like me actually paid less, but they also cancelled the $500 tickets). That seemed like a case where consumers were in the right, and the airline in the wrong.
sorry, but you have clearly no idea what you are talking about. DOT cannot make any airline do anything. All DOT can do is fine an airline for a violation. The airline may not even pay then.