FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Credit Card Details (Comenity Capital Bank)
Old Feb 11, 2015, 6:06 pm
chrisremo

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Thinking of getting the card for this reason. But do they charge it, then credit you, or is it just waived if you call to change flights?
I just did this for the first time an hour ago actually. (I'm really glad I kept this card even though I haven't used it for a new flight in months--I had a flight I booked last year that I no longer need.)

When you book the flight, it is charged to your card as normal. If you need to change or cancel it, you have to call Reservations (won't work via the website) and explain what you want. They'll check the system to ensure you booked the reservation with an appropriate card, make the change, and if there's a balance (ie, if your new fare is less than your old fare, or if you cancel outright), the balance will be credited to you as VX fare credit to be used on future bookings. You do not get the balance credited to your card; it can only be used on VX.

So it's not a true "refund" in the sense that you'll get the money back to do with as you wish. But if you're ever planning on traveling on VX again (and I'm sure anyone who bothers taking out a VX credit card falls into this category) it's a great perk.