FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What would you change about the consumer cards?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:40 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
To me the greatest shortcoming with Diner's is their back office operations

1). Poor, non-existent, and inconsistent communications.

2). Poor underwriting--some folks got 2 x $50k credit lines, one Premier and one Elite, because it appears two different teams were running the two cards. Diner's didn't like this exposure (understandably) and started closing one of the cards in some instances. Even with one card they seemed pretty concerned if you used even 25% of your CL. Hint if you don't like lots of exposure don't set huge CLs. You might ask why folks got two cards but it was the MyFICO types who collect CLs the way we collect points.

3). Google should not be a primary tool in your fraud department's tool chest. They called me after my application data didn't match Whitepages.com (really?). I won't post more details on the 20 min chat I had with their fraud analyst (this was pre-lock after I had spent maybe $2500 on the card) but after the call my wife was like should you really be doing business with a bank like that?

No company is perfect but honestly their whole back office operation seemed pretty Mickey Mouse to me. Still I agree they do have a decent product if they can just get their act together.
Yeah I agree re: their CS. Their website could be better too. I shouldn't need to call them to set up a travel notification in 2015, for example. And stuff like bill pay should have been available right from the start (but is now fixed).