FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Starwood hotel in New York City NYC ? [Master Thread]
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:30 pm
vandalby

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zjunyuan
Hi everyone, I am looking for some suggestions.

I will be in NY from 29/5 to 5/6 with my now fiancee, soon to be wife on our honeymoon from Singapore.

This will be my first time in NY but this will be the wife's third time. We will be mostly eating, shopping and just taking in the sights. Not big theatre fans.

I have already booked using points from 29/5 to 2/6 at WGC based on the recent reviews and recommendations on this thread, but am still open on the 3 and 4 of June.

I am SPG Plat and have about 36k SPG points left.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Am thinking of spending cash on Parker Meridien for 1 night and then splurging the remainder of my points on a St Regis (35k vs 995 USD)
I would strongly advise against spending a night at the Parker Meridien. You can read the property's master thread for yourself, but suffice to say that the negative reviews on this property far outweigh the favorable reviews. Typical issues include lack of upgrades, nickel and diming for service items (e.g., $5 charge to have room service deliver a spoon), the addition of a "facilities charge" for amenities that are questionable if you'll use on a one night stay (pool, gym, etc.), plus questionable ethical issues with management (anyone remember starwood suing these guys for falsifying occupancy levels?)

Certainly enjoy a night at the St. Regis - great idea for a honeymoon. If you need an interim one stop night, that won't require lugging your belongings too far out of the way, I'd suggest the Sheraton New York, Westin Times Square or the Chatwal for the one night stay.