FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:27 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
I'll just pick this one up.

In 2007 the two carriers from LCY to Edinburgh (long the most popular LCY route) were British Airways and Scot Airways. BA were using their 146-RJs at the time, while Scot, who had a longer pedigree on the route, ran a charming personal-service, business-oriented, high frequency operation with Dornier 328 turboprops. In 2007 they were starting to feel they were losing business to upstart BA, so they hired a CityJet 146 for a couple of the most popular flights as well. Financially, this didn't work out for them, and after about 6 months they went back to an all-Dornier operation. They carried on until recent times, but of the couple who founded the airline, boss and chief pilot Roy Suckling died, and although his wife Merlyn kept it going for a while her heart had really gone out from it, and the company was sold to Loganair. They don't do their own schedules through London City any more, although they worked for a while under the CityJet branding. They were always into high-end executive charters as well (major football teams etc), for which a 31-seater was ideal, and you still see them around.

I could write a lot about the route, particularly about Scot Airways, but see I've already done so, so from a trip report, way back in 2002, here it is :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...uite-long.html
Absolutely correct, of course....