FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam - Hanoi or Hoi An?
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:13 pm
TOMFORD

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Hanoi actually has more attractions than Hoi An. If you are short on time, stick to Hanoi - don't waste time getting on a domestic flight to Danang upon arrival in Hanoi.
Duly noted.

Originally Posted by hxhbk
In 2016 the Lunar New Year will fall on Feb 8. I suggest that you plan your trip outside of that period (-1 week, +1 week) unless you like to be in the company of large crowds.
For 3 days, I suggest Hue as your base. For your 3-day stay, you can visit (1) Hue and the Imperial Palace; (2) Hoi An; and (3) the holy site My Son. They have the elements that you are looking for (temples, historic sites, UNESCO World Heritage, and the local cuisine).
Noted as well. I was planning to travel mid/late March or early/mid April.

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I've been taking solo trips to Vietnam since 2008 - total of 6 trips with one coming up in March. I also like the very same things - esp. the food and people watching parts. Both Hanoi and Hoi An should be on your list, but they couldn't be more different. You need to do considerably more research B4 the trip, start here at Travelfish.

First of all, fly a good carrier to Asia - I like Asiana because they treat economy passengers very well, and seating is quite spacious (1 connection in Seoul). If you'd like to PM me for detailed info on hotels, I do know a few really good ones (I prefer small boutique-type 2 and 3 star places).

I took a cruise to Halong Bay earlier this year, and would never do it again. We're all different, but it did nothing for me, and considering the cost for a decent boat, I consider it a poor value in a country of true values.

You don't want to rush around in Vietnam trying to see too much - the really big mistake that tourists make here. Domestic air travel is the way to get around since road travel is often dangerous, and trains are ok, but slow and the service is limited to just a few areas. My favorite places are these: Hanoi, Sapa, Dalat, Quy Nhon and Hoi An. I will only be in Hanoi and Hoi An on my upcoming March trip since I'll also be in Malaysia. It's a wonderful and friendly country, and they really do love Americans now (also a great place to travel solo and meet like-minded people from around the world).

I don't recommend travel to the north of Vietnam in Jan-Feb for 2 reasons - it's much cooler there at that time, and the Tet holiday should be avoid by first-time travelers. March is a great time to go - my favorite.

Do you actually mean 3 days for Vietnam in total? You're kidding, yes? If that is so, I'd pick another country - it's simply not worth the great efforts needed to travel to VN. Come back when you have at least 3 weeks - this place is awesome and really deserves that as a minimum, I kid you not.
Thanks for the info. I do not plan to see all of Vietnam in my one visit. Maybe not even all of one city. I just want to get a flavor of the place. I only have three days. I have about three weeks of vacation all year and cannot spend it all at once place. I'd much rather over-pack my itinerary than to spend the time to fully saturate myself in a new place.