FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip To Sudan
Thread: A Trip To Sudan
View Single Post
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:01 am
DanielW

Day 0.

Arriving at Terminal 2 at Dubai International Airport (DXB) after work on a Thursday.

Grabbing a turkey & camembert croissant at an airside café.

Today's flight was a simple one-way on Flydubai to Khartoum International Airport.

Boarding the Flydubai 737-800. Flydubai have 13 flights a week to KRT versus only four on sister company Emirates (EK).

Flydubai is a LCC (low cost carrier) with all food & drinks extra. I had pre-ordered a meal of chicken kiev however for 40 AED (~$11).

Disembarking at KRT at ~22:30 local time. KRT is not a particularly busy airport and we were the only flight disembarking on arrival.

The hotel I was staying at had organised a helper for me, but the process of exchanging my entry permit for a visa on arrival took some time while we waited for the immigration guy to turn up. Next I had my bags x-rayed and they wanted to look at one of my telephoto lenses I had brought. I was worried they might think I was a journalist, but luckily they were ok with it and must have thought it was something else.

Catching a ride to the hotel that they had organised for me.

Outside the Acropole Hotel. The Acropole is the oldest hotel in Khartoum, founded in 1952 and run by the Pagoulatos family. It is the favoured place to stay for NGO's, UN organizations, journalists (CNN, BBC etc.) and of course tourists.

I got to bed just before midnight and had a decent sleep, ready for my first day in Khartoum.

Day 1.

The view from the balcony of the hotel early Friday morning. The Islamic weekend so pretty quiet.

The great breakfast at the Acropole, included in the daily rate.

After breakfast I caught up with Mike (centre) along with his brothers Thanasis (left) and George (right) to go through some of things I had planned for my trip. They were very friendly and of great assistance helping me organise everything and can definitely recommend the Acropole Hotel if you come to Khartoum!

With my travel & photo permit and some freshly changed Sudanese pounds, ready to head out and explore some of Khartoum.

The taxi's in Khartoum were all 1970's bright yellow Toyota's. The hot dry climate, Japanese reliability and a decent mechanic seemed to be key to their long life.

El Gamhuriya Avenue.

Omar al-Bashir (centre), the President of Sudan who came to power in 1989 when he led a group of officers in a bloodless military coup. Also currently wanted by the ICC for crimes against humanity related to the Darfur conflict.

I then walked along Nile Street. Centre is Tuti Island and Khartoum North across the Blue Nile River.

A couple of Khartoum locals under the Tuti Island bridge.

First stop of the day, the Sudan National museum, which had some Pharaonic era stone carvings and other ancient antiquities.

The Statue of King Atlanersa (653 - 643 B.C.).

And some Christian frescoes from the pre-Islamic era.

Some kids cleaning windows at the traffic lights.

They quickly spotted me and wanted a 'soura' (photo).

The Corinthia Hotel Khartoum, designed to resemble a ship's sail. It was built and financed by the Libyan government in 2008 and is hence also known by the locals as 'Gaddafi's Egg'.

The beautiful atrium from the 14th floor.

The restaurant on the 16th floor. Unfortunately it was too early to have lunch.

The Republican Palace Museum, and formerly a church.

One of the former presidential cars, a Rolls Royce used by the Queen and Prince Charles when visiting Sudan.

I then walked to Al Shuhada park and bought a glass of sugary Sudanese tea for 2 Sudanese pounds (SDG), or ~25 cents.

Mural.

The Great Mosque (Mesjid al-Kabir).

Corner tea shop.

Lunch was chicken and turkish bread for 40 SDG (~$4.50).

I then went for a wander around the Souk al-Arabi area.

Main Street.

Sponsor.

White Van.

Wall.

Chai.

Taxi.

Radio.

Asleep.

Mercedes.

After chilling out back at the Acropole for a while, I then caught a taxi over the Nile to Sita Al Haj Yousef...

...to watch some Nuba wrestling.

Two big guys squaring off.

Every Friday two teams of wrestlers battle it out in front of several hundred spectators.

Trying to get the upper hand.

Pinned down.

The crowd watching on.

Getting tossed.

Riled up.

Looking for an opening.

Thrown to the ground.

The big comeback!

Everyone was very friendly and was a great way to see what the locals got up too on the weekend.

Up in the stands.

Carrying aloft the victor.

Cheering on the team.

Ringside with one of the wrestling teams. They graciously let me sit amongst them to get the previous action shots.

Up close and personal.

The crowd going wild!!!

After a great afternoon watching the wrestling, I caught up with my taxi driver for the trip back to the hotel.

Tasty fish from the Nile for dinner back at the Acropole.

Last edited by DanielW; Feb 7, 2015 at 9:52 am