FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vietnam - Hanoi or Hoi An?
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:32 pm
hxhbk

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by agp423
Hi all, I want to visit Vietnam in early 2016 and want to start my preliminary planning now. I know a little bit about some of the major cities and their attractions but want to get the thoughts of those who have actually visited. For a solo traveler who is interested in culture (e.g. temples, historic ambiance), food (street food as well as fine dining), people watching, and a bit of nature, where would you recommend I go? Hoi An or Hanoi? I know Ha Long bay is a big attraction and is near Hanoi, but it is not THAT close… Inputs welcome, thank you in advance!
In 2016 the Lunar New Year will fall on Feb 8. I suggest that you plan your trip outside of that period (-1 week, +1 week) unless you like to be in the company of large crowds.
For 3 days, I suggest Hue as your base. For your 3-day stay, you can visit (1) Hue and the Imperial Palace; (2) Hoi An; and (3) the holy site My Son. They have the elements that you are looking for (temples, historic sites, UNESCO World Heritage, and the local cuisine).