FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2015] Version: Survey of plans you have in 2015 for earning 2016 Premier status.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:55 am
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ryman554
spin, come on. =) I know you hate UA more than the next guy, but lifetime plat? That you can "gift" to somebody else <that lives at your house....>?
My SO had "gifted" GS status for two years, and "gifted" 1K status last year, and did not use it. She finds the UA service to be crappy, and has had a few bad IRROPs experience (one with me) so avoids UA. She flies VX or CX or ANA.

But for me, what is the value proposition? I can give UA $50K this year, get no upgrades (because out of SFO they go to TODs or corporate GS folks), even when I go back to 1K, and have crappy service and lots of IRROPs, or I can fly OALs. And what is the "Lifetime" Plt worth? I get lounge access with *G (till Jeff takes that away, his promises are not exactly worth anything) and basically the only difference in "Lifetime" PLT vs. Gold is an extra 2 miles/$1 of spending. That is literally it. Its not like upgrades would clear for me as a PLT vs. Gold. Getting the UA card would give me the same extra miles. PLT gets no extra service over Gold.

So instead I just got an AMEX Plt card (lounge access on DL and centurian lounges) and am flying VX (paying for F when I want it) or DL (same deal with a few freebee upgrades so far)