FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hello from AA
Thread: Hello from AA
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:34 am
ukgooner

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by scillyisles
I really struggle with your posts about food Tobias-UK.
On one hand you mostly insist that the CCR at LHR T5 serves great food always hot and the staff service is great. You post that BA F food is always good and the service is great.
... and now you post that the food particularly in F on AA's transcontinental flagship service is awful.
I fly exactly the same planes and visit the same CCR at LHR T5 and wonder if we are in separate parallel universes. However in my universe, BA food in F is normally pretty bad (I posted photos of how bad it was a couple of weeks ago), service from BA cabin crew in F can be sometimes great(~25-30%) sometimes good (~40% )and sometimes bad ( ~30-35%).
Of all the meals I have had in the CCR I can only remember one that was served hot and was of 3 star restaurant quality - all the rest have either been cold or poor quality or both. Service in the CCR I find very hit or miss and mostly miss.
On the food on AA's transcontinental flagship F on the A321T, I had the best fillet steak ever on a plane from JFK to LAX the other week and my breakfast back from LAX to JFK was very good. The AA F A321T seat I find to be more comfortable as a bed than BA F on any of their planes including A380 (which I fly a lot).
The one area where our universes seem to converge is the food on AA's 2 class F service planes including longer trancontinentals say LAS to JFK or MIA to LAS and HNL to LAX etc has deteriorated markedly since the AA/US merger. I would agree that the food can be very poor and indeed on one flight both of us had different dishes but both were awful (one pasta dish and one chicken dish)
I too have generally have had good to excellent food on BA F. Can't comment on CCR as I only normally have boiled eggs (if anything) - but they are good too. I certainly wouldn't be expecting 3* standards though. It is after all an airline lounge. without the brigade of chefs found at a top restaurant kitchen. Id say its wonderful you have had a dish you'd associate with a 3* kitchen though.

But to get back on topic (surely we don't need to revisit BA F food again?) I like AA, and very happy to fly with them. Typically do 20-odd F domestic sectors and few interconti's too. Generally in domestic F (And there isnt any difference between transcon food in F (where J & F get the same meals) and 2 class F), the food can be quite heavy. Its often red meat or something cheesy. The salads are now often shredded iceberg with little else.

AA crew in F are much more friendly and approachable than coach. I assume they have more time to engage - and I have never thought service has been indifferent. If I have wanted anything, they have been there in a shot.

The one thing AA really does beat BA on - and Im surprised this is never commented on - is glasses! i wish BA would ditch the tiny glasses they use. Its great to get on AA a proper drink in a proper glass with loads of ice.