FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on which *A FF scheme to join? - please post here
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:55 pm
mosfet

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi everyone, first time posting and keen to hear your thoughts.

Lots of travel last year 125k miles and haven't really felt much love from Air NZ. Looking to get Gold this year on any star alliance

What is your home airport?
JFK
What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Y cheapest economy with in 20% of fare
How many miles do you usually fly each year?
75k-100k
Do you have any kind of status at present? What is it?
Star Alliance Silver (Air New Zealand)
What is most important to you in a FFP?
I would be happy with 2-3 international upgrades 2 domestic (US), free bag and lounge access.
Which routes do you fly most often?
JFK - Auckland New Zealand, JFK - London, Auckland - Melbourne, Domestic AUS, Domestic NZ, JFK-LA, JFK - Paris
Preferred Airlines
Delta, Air New Zealand, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, Lufthansa, Swiss
Do you travel for work or pleasure?
Own business, not adverse to spending more being specific with airlines I fly with and routing (i.e. layovers in Frankfurt or Zurich en route to London / Paris not an issue if I have lounge access).

Also have an Air NZ visa platinum which gets cheap $400 NZD for year access to Koru club which has LAX Star Alliance entrance, NZ domestic as well as Virgin Australia lounge access (domestic only). Earns 1 status point per $250 spent and 1 Air Point with $90 spent.

Am I better trying to cash in with an easy Star Alliance Gold airline or stick with Air New Zealand due to the credit card and 4 trips a year JFK NZ return (about 65k miles)

Thanks!