FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replacing Surface Pro - Asus T100TAM or Acer Switch 10?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 am
IsleOfMan

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I gave up on the Surface Pro as a tablet fairly quickly... the Surface Pro 3 is much thinner (my main complaint) but the added screen size makes it tough to use as a tablet as well. From a PC functionality standpoint the Surface Pro series is fine, but the logistics of using it on an airplane has started to grate on me... it seems I'm constantly sliding the kickstand of the back of the tray-table and then the whole think falls flat. If you could defy the laws of physics and have a solid position-able hinge with a keyboard as thin as the Touch/Type covers, it would be a great travel device.

It's funny you should mention hybrid Android/Windows... seeing some articles about the Onda V919 3G Air was what really sparked me to consider replacing the Surface Pro. Unfortunately, as I was about to pull the trigger on one from AliExpress I got a little uneasy about sourcing a tablet from China with little/no warranty support and then relying on it to do work when traveling... this uneasiness pushed me back tot he more traditional Windows-only hybrids.

The idea of the Transformer Book V is one I could probably get behind, but I have to use a company-issued phone and there's no BYOD option. I'm also guessing it will be outside of my ~$300 price range (the sale of the Surface Pro and my old Galaxy S4 will pay for my replacement hybrid and a refurb iPad 4 for my wife).

I agree that, especially on the consumption side, Android apps are in general better developed and more reliable. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" that I share with one of my daughters (my boys have Tab 3 7s and my other daugher has an original iPad) and I use it for most of my casual bedside news reading, forums, etc. If I ever felt I wasn't getting the app experience I desire on the Windows hybrid, I'd probably just supplement with a similar 8" tablet.

That said, on the Surface Pro and previously on the T100TA, I function 80% or more in Chrome as I have a suite of extensions I rely on and I also rely on Pulse (who pulled their Windows Store app but maintains a functional web-app). My Windows App use is really confined to Netflix, Hulu, etc. This mix of Chrome and a handful of Windows Store apps should work even better with Windows 10... I will likely install the new Preview on whatever I get.