FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Trip to Japan in July
View Single Post
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:33 pm
abmj-jr

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by joostfan
1) Is it better to fly into NRT or HRD to get to Tokyo? From what I've been reading, HRD seems better & cheaper.
2) What's the best way to get to the hotel from there - seems like train or bus is the way to go.
3) Is it better to spend a few days in Tokyo first, then go to Kyoto and finish up the trip w/ a few days in Tokyo again or to just do all 5 days in Tokyo and then the rest in Kyoto?
4) Should I get a JR pass?
5) Should I stay in a Ryokan in Kyoto?
6) Any must see, do or eat things as a first timer? ...
It looks like you are pretty new here so first, Welcome to the FlyerTalk Japan Forum.

As for the rest, if you will look at the thread immediately below yours you will see the same information addressed to another. Two more threads down is one about a short visit to Japan in July. Three below that is one about Japan Rail Passes and a few more down is an extensive thread addressing many questions from a first timer. My point is that most of your questions have been answered recently here. You just have to look around a bit to find them.

As for the rest:

1. It really depends on what flights you can get. I often use NRT because from my local area, HND tends to be a bit more expensive. Also, I am usually by-passing Tokyo en route for someplace else and train connections are easier from NRT. YMMV. Check rates for both. Either will work fine for a first timer.

2, From NRT, the deluxe express trains (Narita Express or Keisei Skyliner) are the best for many but the dedicated limousine bus may work better depending on your hotel choice. From HND, it really depends on where your hotel is located. Most use the monorail to Hamamatsucho and connect to local rail or taxi there.

3. If you can get an open-jaw ticket and depart from KIX, that is best. If not, your return to Tokyo probably depends on what time of day you depart for home. If you leave before about 11:00 am, you probably need to return to Tokyo the night before. Later, you can just go all the way from Kyoto to NRT or HND that morning. I wouldn't split the Tokyo stay unless necessary as that requires changing hotels another time.

4. The JR Rail Pass only saves money if you will ride the shinkansen (bullet train) round trip Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo AND some other travel, such as the Narita Express out to NRT for departure or a day trip from Tokyo to Nikko, etc. If you will only go one way to Kyoto and depart from KIX, don't bother as it will be cheaper just buying tickets.

5. If you do stay in a ryokan, just stay one night and switch to hotels for the rest. It tends to get repetitive after a night or two. Also, in Kyoto be prepared to pay fairly high prices. I've always thought of a ryokan as a nice couples experience but a little boring for a single. Again, YMMV.

6. Not even going to try this. Do some research and ask again.