FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 class flights from West Coast to New York in the afternoon?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:48 am
Febs2

Programs: QFWP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
2 class flights from West Coast to New York in the afternoon?

Hi all,

I'm about to book a DONE3 and I'm trying to maximise the Qantas status credit earning potential in the US, despite only being able to use 4/6 US sectors (due to hitting the overall 16 sector limit).

We don't have a lot of time to kill, so we can't do DFW-ANC or anything like that (though I did it before, and enjoyed ANC ), but we are happy to spend a whole day/night getting from SFO to New York.

The current plan is:
SFO-DFW 05:25 - 10:57
DFW-LAX 12:11 - 13:34
LAX-JFK 15:03 - 23:41
(which should earn 90 + 90 + 80 = 260 Qantas SCs)

Not bad, but the LAX-JFK leg only earns J status credits as it's a 3 class service. It would be great if I could find a 2 class service to JFK that would work. I've tried SEA and SAN, but the timing just doesn't work (i.e. there's nothing direct from SEA or SAN leaving after ~2pm), and I can't take a connecting flight as that will push me over the 16 sector limit.

Any thoughts on ways to maximise the SC earn (on 2 class flights) that will still let us get from SFO to JFK on the same day (realistically we'd be happy to arrive in JFK around 1-2am the following day at the latest).

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Febs2.