FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:30 am
taliesin

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by mia
If AA calls the premium cabin "First Class", as they do no most domestic routes, BAEC requires 3X the coach points. If AA calls it "Business" they require only 2X. BAEC rigidly follows AA's designation, even if the identical seats are labelled differently on other flights between the same city pair. First is First is 3X.
And yet, if flying from the West Coast on a non-stop flight, with the transfer bonus, it would still cost fewer MR points to fly AA than Delta. Delta, at lowest level, is 80000 RT to Hawaii in First. It's 75000 from West Coast to Hawaii non-stop on AA (or AS, which is not bookable on the BA website), so with the bonus that's only ~55K. Even with a stop it might be cheaper. This sounds like it would be from the East Coast, though, so it would be close, and a cursory search makes it look like availability on AA is gonna be difficult.

I suggest searching for availability on AA, AS, and DL, and transferring only once you see the flights you want. On DL with a million points you are guaranteed to find something, though it may not be a price you want to pay.

For the hotel piece, go ahead and price it out in HHonors points, but I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where I'd want to transfer MR points to a hotel program.