FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Méridien Thimphu, Bhutan - First Starwood Hotel in Bhutan - Opening Dec 2014
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:06 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So the government is like the Outer Limits - they will control all that you see and hear. I guess that works for some people, but I think I'll skip it until they allow free travel....
They don't control what you see and how, quite the contrary. This is not North Korea. They want to ensure everyone has a good experience, is able to see the highlights offered by the country and its unique architectural and cultural heritage, and prevent overcrowding, damage and other problems experienced by countries that don't have any control over tourists.

You are welcome to walk around and explore on your own time and see what you want to talk to whoever you want - but there will be private guides taking you to specific sites, which are the places most people who visit Bhutan want to see and experience. They are there to give you a historical perspective, talk about the site, take you around the highlights and offer language interpretation.

As a comparison, I recently visited the Vatican Museums - there is no way I would have gone there as a member of the general public, standing in line for hours, then rushing through the galleries without a clue as to what I was looking at. Having a Vatican guide and a reserved entry time made the entire experience more enjoyable, rewarding and educational. The same logic applies to visiting the many cultural sites in Bhutan - and ensures the sites are uncrowded and enjoyable.