FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Citi going to send IRS 1099 for points/miles earning for CC bonuses / spend?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:28 am
drdavidge

Is Citi going to send IRS 1099 for points/miles earning for CC bonuses / spend?

I am part of an small invitation only discussion group between Citi and AA where they ask questions and send out surveys to users - some sort of on the ground market research. I recently received a survey about 1099's which, frankly, scared the hell out of me. They asked only a few questions after asking us to pick which cards we had:

Have any of your miles credit cards sent you a 1099 tax notice for miles that were rewarded to you? Select all that apply.

Have any of your points credit cards sent you a 1099 tax notice for points that were rewarded to you? Select all that apply.

We’re all set! We told you this one would be quick!! Is there anything else you’d like to tell us at this time?
I obviously answered no to all of that and voiced my concerns strongly against that in the comments. Has anyone else heard of something like this? I think we may need to preemptively stop something like this happening as best we can.

Edit - we know this already happens for bank account bonus points but these questions were about points from credit card spend and signup bonuses.

Last edited by drdavidge; Jan 24, 2015 at 11:14 am