FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:11 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well.....speaking of Canada.....

I think it's time for one more bonus quiz item. And we shall call this one the :-: Seat 2A Special :-:.

It's 1976 and on this particular date, you are in Fairbanks, Alaska where you've just completed a project as a consultant. You have been assisted in this work by a colleague and very good friend who is a resident of Vancouver, B.C. He actually drove up to Fairbanks in his new Land Rover and now it's time for him to return to that beautiful city in B.C. and home.

"So", he says to you, "you up for a little drive down the Alaska Highway? I've checked the weather and it is actually forecast to be fairly benign for the next week or so....no blizzards or other exciting conditions, it appears." Ah, a road trip, you think. Why not? Then the phone rings. It's concerning a possible new project in Honolulu; however, the job has not quite firmed up yet and would you be available on fairly short notice to fly to HNL for a meeting if it does? Well, of course.

So you explain the situation to him. "I may have to jump on a plane and fly to Honolulu. Now we both know that CP Air has daily 747 service plus four Super DC8 flights a week from Vancouver. So the trick will be getting to YVR should I need to bail out during our road trip and fly to Vancouver in order to catch a flight to HNL."

You then ascertain there are no less than nine airports which have scheduled jet service on your general route of travel by vehicle from Fairbanks via the most direct route on the Alaska Highway in the Yukon Territory and British Columbia and then via the main provincial route in B.C. on down to Vancouver.

So here's the quiz item: identify all nine airports where you can conveniently catch a direct flight to Vancouver should you need to do so as well as the airline that operated each of these flights and the jet aircraft type you'll be flying on. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm Reason: wordsmithing, as usual....