FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is United a good alternative?
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:42 am
UltraRant

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by don_hansen
I'm EBG. I fly mostly TATL US and then some intra-eu.

I'm not so impressed with SAS lately and have been searching for an alternative. With credit card spend, it seems I can become gold at United. Thus I'll still have lounge and upgrades are more common.

It also seems, that segments with SAS out of CPH will earn 100 % on most classes with United.

Thus, it seems lige a pretty descent alternative for me. Although i read much negative stuff about united, all my flights with them have met SAS-standard. (Except for crew).

Am I missing something here? Have any of you other guys thought about changing away from degraded Eurobonus. For me it's mostly the bonus trip and the upgrades that matter (lounge, of course), and they seem better with United.
To be honest, I started to fly a lot more with United now that SAS degraded its own earnings on TATL. I probably wouldn't make it to a very high status with MileagePlus as I don't spend so much money directly with them, but with United earnings it's relatively easy to maintain *G with SAS.

The experience with SAS is about the same as with United, with the difference that United sees itself as the best airline in the world (which is explicitly stated at the beginning of the safety video), so it's a very American experience. At least some crew at SAS know that SAS sucks big time. Food is appalling on both of them, both of them are cheap on drinks and alcohol. Seats are not very comfortable on any of them, but I expect this to change in the advantage of SAS with the new cabin layout.

The major advantage of UA gold is that UA gold can get a free upgrade with United from eco to Eco plus by default.