FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:57 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by hphreak
Just wish to weigh in on this. Sourcing from many conversations with my parents, and many parents of my friends, and my friends themselves (went to well known int'l school and top UK public schools). We are now mostly in our 20s.

The biggest misconception is that people in the top 1% or 0.1% spend whatever, and don't care about price. You really don't stay in this bracket by spending, and many, many, parents and the kids are price conscious, save for a few nouveau riche types with attention problems.

Yes most of us will travel F, J. But the amount of times I hear someone redeem far exceeds someone buying. We get credit card points too, and given that we spend so much in our daily lives already, we have a lot of points to burn through.

Many of these parents are lower profile but very well-estblished society figures, or are one of the big families in Hong Kong (landlords...etc.). A ticket may seem like nothing to us, but our parents still care about what the value is. I have friends who choose to fly BA simply because their club world is cheaper at times than CX J.

But at the same time, yes myself, my parents, my friends, friends' parents are all existing MPO members, with many DMs, but those usually stem from their business/company spendings, and not personal necessarily personal travels. Parents who accompanied my friends to university, parents only bought J, and the kid flew in PEY. Some flew in J, and some redeemed F. But there is never a mentality of 'oh I have the money, who cares if a ticket to LHR is 44k or 38k'.
I don't think my family or their friends makes the 1% cut. J is still perfectly within their means. However they act exactly the same way.