FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How strict are QF with hand baggage? And a few more first timer questions.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:16 am
shefgab

Programs: BAEC
Question How strict are QF with hand baggage? And a few more first timer questions.

Hi!

Next week I’m flying QF for the first time LHR-DXB-LHR in economy. I’m hoping to go hand baggage only, but just noticed that the official economy hand luggage is ONE piece up to 115cm in dimensions (I assume that’s a standard roll aboard size – Ryanair is happy with it) up to 7kg. Compared to BA (2 bags, one under the seat, max weight 23kg per bag (really!)) this seems a little restrictive. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with how strict QF staff are regarding this in LHR and DXB?

I was hoping to take my rollaboard, and a small backpack as carry on. Should be ok? If it makes any difference, I have a Sapphire card in my booking, but also an Emerald card (not in booking).

A few more questions:

- Does anyone know what time the check in desks in DXB open? The return flight leaves at 0225, and with my Emerald card, I (believe I) get access to the EK First lounge (never tried it before). I imagine I might get to the airport around 10pm, and it’d be great to be able to just chill in the lounge, rather than find a bench and wait for the check in desks to open.

In the “Airport Guide” section, it says the desk opens in LHR 5 hours (!) before the flight, but for DXB it only says there are “dedicated QF desks” (so I assume you can’t check in at any old EK desk), and that check in closes 60 mins before departure. Any ideas?

- BA (sometimes) offers single cabin upgrades at OLCI. Does QF do this?

- Finally, i'm booked in 33A on the way out. This is row 2 of economy on the upper deck. I appreciate that I might be one of the last off, but can anyone confirm if there is a window there (and that the seat reclines), as it's just ahead of the last upper deck door.

Thanks for any assistance! I’m looking forward to trying out the QF A380, and getting away from the freezing UK weather.