FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What kind of High Altitude Upset Training are HA pilots required to do?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:33 pm
Alex909

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
Originally Posted by azj
I can assure you that HAL pilots are trained on every level of automation that the 330 has, as well as many emergency scenarios. This includes everything from dual engine failures to engine fires, cabin depressurization, loss of "protections," loss of braking and the list goes on. One cannot be trained on every possible scenario, but basic principles are addressed throughout training and come instilled in all pilots at the level found at an airline like HAL. Automation, it's advancements and the new realities this brings are very much a topic of discussion at HAL and I would imagine every US carrier. I certainly wouldn't book away from HAL, just because the airline operates Airbus product.
Thanks, Azj, really appreciate the response. I am not particularly biased against Airbus. The newer Boeing products also have issues with fly-by-wire automation, even though their FBW design seems more conservative than Airbus. For example, the B777 "FLCH mode" trap encountered by the Asiana Pilot when approaching SFO - he clearly did not understand what the automation in his plane was doing until it was too late.

How much hand flying the typical HAL pilot gets in their A330? Does HAL explicitly encourage pilots to hand fly when appropriate?

I am asking this, because the automation provided by fly-by-wire systems comes at the cost of requiring the pilot to know how to fly the aircraft when the FBW reconfigures/drops away in case of sensor failures, software problems etc.

Last edited by Alex909; Jan 22, 2015 at 7:54 pm