FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:17 pm
Brugge

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The problem with this strategy is that you have to pay the AF if you don't close it. It's only $95, but if you leave it open and then find that you can't get another one in 6 months anyway, you're out $95 for no reason.

It might be worth it to try for a retention bonus to offset the AF. If you can't get that you have to decide how much you care about $95 and whether it's worth the gamble to you.
Well I wasn't suggesting a strategy. I answered a question by pointing out the various options. If you read both of my posts, I think the odds are 70% the OP can close it with no consequences. And 30% closing it will extend the waiting period by 12 months. And maybe we will get the answer to that before the AF is actually due, so the OP should at least wait until just before the payment due date to decide.

Anything can always happen, of course, but having just set up this new policy, and brought out these new apps, I'd expect Citi to keep things this way for at least 6 months. And since the most restrictive language is opened or closed "a Plat card" in 18 months, keeping it open should mean the OP will qualify then. But it's Citi after all, so yes: YMMV.

I've gotten a retention offer on more AA Plat cards than I can count, and haven't paid a AF in forever. But my DW tried that last month, and was not offered anything at all. Still, as we used to say in Junior High, "anything that's worth a try is worth a try". And it is a free call, so for sure try that first.

After that there are several gambles. The biggest one is, having opened or closed a Visa Plat in the past 18 months, apply for a MC Plat now, get a HP, make a 4 figure spend, and wait to see if you get the bonus or not.

I can't apply to Citi for another month. Who is clear on 8/65 and willing to take one for the team?